Saturday, February 2, 2008

Who? What? Why?

Who: Right now, I am a grad student. I do research on Developmental Neuroscience at National Centre for Biological Sciences (ncbs), Bangalore. I work on how the neuronal circuitry required for walking is assembled through develoipment, in Drosophila.


What: I envision this blog to be something that would have all results of my pet projects. (The ones i dont get paid for, or havent been told to do). I would like comments on what results i get. I dont care whether it has any significance on mainstream science, or if somebody has already done something similar. These are questions i am either curious abt, worked out just because i could, or simply plainly for the heck of it. Some might even be a useless proof of something that we already know. But its just that i want to share and discuss abt these. And yes, i dont have discipline of choice. I just like observing arbit things and try to figure out stuff. And some might just be opinions on someone else's work

Why: "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" - Albert Einstein
The 'publish or perish' environment in current day research prevents the scope for research on things u cant get funded for. So all of that u r actually fascinated to do are supressed, especially if u r a grad student.

3 comments:

Kamatchi said...

hi, wht happened to ur pet projects? Kamakshi.

Unknown said...

I've now added questions running in my mind.

So, that it'll remind me of what to solve, when i have ample time!

There is one other pet project on biomechanincs that i haven't posted yet on. Something i have an answer for! But have to experimentally verify it. Tried to hunt around for already published stuff in that regard. but didn't find any. But, It seems to be too simple not to have been published or known since eternity. anyway, i want to keep the prospects of getting a paper instead of a blog post out of it.

will post it up here once it sways either way!

Muchadoabouteverything said...

hey the name is familiar though i have forgotten the face!